Thursday, July 15, 2010

Episode 2: Inside Area 51

If you had asked me yesterday if I’d be lurking inside a secret government facility, I’d have told you that you were crazy. But here I am doing just that… lurking. I’m not exactly supposed to be in this section of the compound. I’m on a catwalk high above the action looking down into different partitioned sections as tiny scientists work on strange technology.

This facility is pretty famous considering it’s so secret. They call it Area 51, and I’m its newest resident. They haven’t given me a “My Name Is Taffy” badge or catalogued me in the “Weird Dreams” section, but I know something bizarre is coming. I mean, after all, I was the one who was kidnapped by a UFO and brought here.

In all my lurking, I didn’t think to watch my back. I’m not exactly stealthy in my covertness. As I leaned over the railing to get a better look, a hand rested on my shoulder nearly causing me to jump out of my skin and off the catwalk. Considering it was so high up, I was lucky I wasn’t dead.

I gasped and turned around holding onto the railing with a death grip. I didn’t scream but a great whoosh of air came hurtling past my lips. Standing a little too close for comfort was a man wearing a rumpled white lab coat over civilian clothes.

“Don’t scare me like that,” I said. My heart pounded in my ears making it hard to hear what the man was saying.

“You always stroll around secure facilities like you own the place?” the man asked.

He was holding an Apple tablet in one hand that looked more advanced than the ones I’d seen on the Yahoo Tech page. It was like technology on steroids around here.

“Just curious,” I replied. “It’s not everyday I get a personal invite to Area 51. I thought it would be silly not to take a look around.”

The scientist shook his head. “You know what they say about curiosity? I’d hate to see something happen to you.”

“Threats already? I don’t think I know you well enough for you to be throwing around idle threats.”

“Oh, they’re not idle,” the man said as he motioned to two security guards hiding in the shadows.

“Now that’s not playing fair,” I quipped.

“Take her into Section Five. The implantation device is all booted up and ready for her.”

“Implantation… What… I never agreed to….” The guards man handled me toward a red double door. I struggled but it was like pushing against iron. “Someone… HELP!”

I screamed but no one heard me.

No comments:

Post a Comment