Friday, February 26, 2016

Episode 11


Trouble With UFOs
Episode 11

As the artificial sun rose bringing the next day to a start in A51, I left Penny back in my room. She had been busy the night before, and I still wasn't sure what happened. Even the dream which had seemed so significant last night now faded. It was hard to grasp onto the content of what had happened. But I did know one thing... Penny was worried.

I window shopped on the Concourse and saw a comic book my brother, Ames, would love. The thought made me miss my family. I wondered what they were doing and how they'd handled my disappearance. 

I'd stopped in front of a stationary store and all the journals, pens and pencils worked their mojo and pulled me in. The lady at the counter was listening to music on her ipod and told me to feel free to look around.

"We can also etch words into the cover of any one you choose."

That would come in handy if I wanted a different journal for each of my stories. A red hard-bound journal drew my attention. There was something almost familiar about it. I found a British flag patch and the lady behind the counter even created a second one of the logo I had created for my main story. A second notebook grabbed my attention. It was a white journal with a multi-colored line drawing of Big Ben. There was something about British culture that lured me. I wasn't sure why. I just found it fascinating. 

The lady packaged my purchases and I continued on with my leisurely stroll along the Concourse. As I began to think of my stories and plot lines, I spied a flash of a man up ahead. He had strong European features and a scruffy five-o'clock shadow. He was exactly what I imagined my secret agent, Evan Stone, might look like. He walked casually and then suddenly veered off to the right.

I followed his path moving up a head and found myself in a park-like setting. How they had created such a setting inside a large warehouse was mind-boggling. The Evan look-a-like was no where to be seen.  I stopped at a park bench and lifted my face to the artificial sun. It felt so real.

Before I could sit down someone approached me from behind. I turned around suddenly and came face to face with Evan Stone. I couldn't move as my eyes took in his surprising appearance.

"Why are you following me?" His British accent was low and sexy. It rounded out my character perfectly. I'd never thought about that aspect too much.

"I'm not..." My voice stuttered and I stepped back a few paces.

"No one else in this place looked at me twice but you. You saw me."

"I'm not blind. And I have a hard time believing you didn't have every woman here checking you out."

"It's my job to be invisible," he said.

"I'm not sure how that's possible. You look like a handsome leading man dressed like a superstar," I said. "Everyone should notice you." I extended my hand. "I'm Taffy."

"Evan Stone," he said reaching his hand toward mine.

The impact of the name settled in my mind. Evan Stone? How was that possible? I pulled back my hand before he could grasp it. "No way!"

"What's wrong? Do you know me?" Evan stepped back assessing me for a split second and surveyed his options for a quick exit.

"Know you? I created you."

"Pardon me, but last time I checked my mum created me."

"I know. Born in Bristol, England and recruited by MI6 when you were seventeen."

He moved closer to me. "Please stop. I don't want to have to kill you."

"I write stories," I explained. "You're one of my secret agent characters." I pulled out the notebook I was currently filling with stories. "See for yourself."

He paged through the volume. "Have you been following me? No one could know all this. Not even my handlers at MI6."

"Following you? No..."

Evan looked off behind me and a concern expression crossed his face. I turned to see who was causing him so much distress. But the Concourse was empty.

"Of course, I'm not following you, I continued, turning back around. "LIke I said, I'm a fiction writer." What I was saying left my head as I realized Evan Stone was gone. I looked off into the park and saw people playing, having picnics. The other direction was a long hallway that was cast in shadows. He wasn't there either. He was definitely gone.

I'd wish I'd had a camera because no one was going to believe I saw my own character in the flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment